Damn you Ikea!

One of the things I had planned on doing in our living room was replacing the tv stand with something with more storage and could blend into the backround a bit better. Since budget is tight as always, I was planning on getting the Lack shelf in white from Ikea so that it could hold all of our electronics and dvds and not compete with the other furniture in the room.

Here's the shelf in Victoria's old apartment from sfgirlbybay

A few weeks ago I noticed that there was an error on the page on the Ikea website. Last week I went down to Ikea and discovered that they had discontinued it and they didn't have any left! I can't believe it! It's one of their classics. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to use instead. I want the look of a low white bench that can run behind whatever chairs I wind up getting for the room, and I'd consider making something but I really don't need another project.



Any ideas?



Comments

Patina said…
Well, knowing what a giant pita it is to put together IKEA furniture, I say DIY! You could even find old closet doors for the frame and the hardware (wheels) at a salvage place. If you are in the bay area, I'm sure you could find them in Berkeley at Ohmega Salvage.
KMark has a tower bookshelf under a hundred bills that you could paint, and arrange the shelving for. Its tall, so cutting it down might be in order.
Pre-drill holes for screws to stablize the shelves. If you want it on wheels, then I suggest make a 1"x2" wood frame to attach to the bookself laid on its side. Make sure the screws are long enough to go through the frame into the bookshelf. I think its made of pressed board.
I had one from Staples that I cut in half. Messy, but it provided what I needed.
Samantha said…
West Elm. but it's more expensive.

Craig's List?

Popular Posts